(Snippets from the New York Times, 27 January 1886)
The Mount St. Vincent is two stories high, and heated throughout by steam and lighted by Edison’s incandescent light…
The building, which is owned by the city, was completed by the Park about 15 months ago, and is admirably adapted for use as a pleasure resort either in Winter or in Summer. In its present condition it probably has no superior as a roadhouse.
Mr. McCann takes special pride in the high character of his restaurant and he proposes to make the Mount St. Vincent a resort where ladies and children, as well as gentlemen, can enjoy themselves quietly and comfortably.
There are eight neatly furnished dining rooms on the second floor… The use of these rooms will only be permitted to persons of known respectability. Mine host McCann has no use for any other kind of patrons.